Friday, February 26, 2010

My Testimony and a few other disclosures.

First and foremost, I am a faithful Latter Day Saint Woman. I have a testimony of the restored Gospel of Christ. I live my life in accordance with the standards of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am a wife of 12 years to a wonderful and strong Priesthood Holder, and I am the mother of two amazing sons.

I was raised Catholic and was was introduced to the Gospel by a friend in my freshman year of high school. I was lost and struggling, and Heavenly Father sent someone to bring me home. She literally brought a lost daughter of Heavenly Father home. To say my parents were supportive would be misleading. They were not happy about my decision, and it took a year before they allowed my baptism. I was baptized during my sophomore year, and, to date, I am the only member in my family.

I went to high school with my husband. He is also a convert. He was introduced to the Gospel during his junior year of high school (not by me...we were good friends at that point, but we were not yet dating). He was baptized during his senior year of high school, and he is also the only member in his family.

In the interest of full disclosure: My husband and I have not always been active Mormons. We went inactive right after high school, lived together, and were married four years later in a Lutheran church with our family and friends present. I do not regret the decisions that I made. It has made me the faithful LDS woman who can stand before you unashamed.

A year and a half after we were married, we decided to start our family. I found out I was pregnant in January 1999. The first words out of my husband's mouth were "We better get ourselves back to church. Our lives and salvation are no longer about us."

So we went. We met the Bishop and started the process back to the Gospel. It was a good journey; difficult at times, but well worth every minute. We were sealed as a family in the Denver Temple just before my first son's first birthday. We have never looked back. There have been bumps in the road, but we manage to stay on track.

I choose to follow the admonition of Henry David Thoreau on this one:

Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.

I love my life and make no apologies. I accept the decisions that I have made without exception.

I will write more on the various topics of my conversion and faith, but I felt it necessary for my readers to know where I sit before you know where I stand.

No comments: