Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Compliment

I received the nicest compliment from an unexpected source today. A mom called to ask me about the church's new Personal Progress website. We had a great conversation as I explained how the website works. We talked about her daughter and how much she has grown as a Young Woman and a leader. I was relieved and happy to hear that this mom noticed the change in her daughter that I have noticed. At the end of the call she said the nicest thing I have heard in a while.

She said, "Thank you for all that you do for the girls. You are doing such a great job. I know that you are getting a lot of crap thrown at you and your family by some people in the ward, but I wanted to let you know that it is not deserved. You are so wonderful for our girls."

I was so surprised by the nice words. I know that there are women who are criticizing me about things that they know nothing about. Things that they have not asked. Things that involve my family. Things that are really none of their business. But, I told her that in response to their hurtful and mean words, I had a choice: to either get angry, hurt and offended, or to  take the road that Christ would have me take. I told her that I know that everything that I do is led by the Spirit. That is all that I can do. I have chosen to turn the other cheek. To not be offended and to pray for these women. She said to keep doing what I am doing.

This was such a simple statement, but it made me feel so much better about my calling. I know that I am doing the best I can. I know that I am doing what the Lord wants me to do. It is amazing how good it felt to have a mother tell me that she knows it too.

No comments: