Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Friends

I have something like 300 friends on Facebook, but are they actually my friends? Not really. Some are former students, and Facebook is just an convenient way to keep tabs on them...an easy way for them to get help or ask advice. Some are friends from my ward. People that I see on a weekly basis but, in truth, are people that I talk to less than once a month. These are the people whose feelings will be hurt if I "unfriend" then or ignore their friend request. And of course, among my 300 or so Facebook Friends, there are old high school friends, work friends, and actual friends I see on a regular basis.

Friends have always meant a great deal to me. I didn't have the most supportive family growing up, am I considered my friends the most important people in my life. The word friend used to mean so much more, not just to me, but to everyone. People did not used to call people friends unless they really meant it. Otherwise it was just an aquaintance or "a person I know".

Being called a friends used to mean trust, understanding, love, compassion, and most of all, it meant charity.

I am incredibly grateful that the actual PEOPLE I call friends (not the computer generated 'friendships') have not deviated from my original definition. I do, however, think a new word should be created. Computers have taken the true meaning of friendship and tarnished it. I am guilty of it too. I accept that, but I guess I am incredibly grateful to know the difference between my different categories of friends.

No comments: