Monday, April 4, 2011

Can someone PLEASE explain...

Why does Disney insist on portraying boys in their TV shows as idiots? This has been bothering me for a while, but as I was talking to my own children about why Disney TV shows are no longer allowed, I came unglued in my own mind. (I was calm and rational to my sons, but in my head, I was going a little nuts.)

Indulge me a moment while I go through some of the boy characters:

First you have Zach: He is the "cool" one, but he cannot be bothered to learn anything. He is constantly getting in trouble and too concerned about being "cool" to care about school. He is girl crazy and has no regard for the people around him.

Then you have Cody: He is the "smart" one and as such he can in no way be "cool". He has no common sense; he is portrayed as being weak because he is smart. He is made fun of and is always the butt of someone else's jokes.

Next: The twins on the new show "Pair of Kings" (I don't know their names). They are just plain idiots. They do not think before they act, they are selfish, and they have to be constantly rescued because the decisions they make cause constant calamity.

Then there is Jackson on Hannah Montana. I don't even want to get into this one. Lazy, girl crazy, inferior to everyone, and stupid. But his sister is the exact opposite.

I could go on, but you get the point. There are worse boy characters than these, but I just can't bring myself to write about them. The thing is, I know that Disney is taking specific characteristics and exaggerating them, but really? For crying out loud, why can't a boy be both smart and cool? Why can't they for once portray a boy character who is just a typical boy? A boys who is a little bit goofy, a tad geeky, cool sometimes, and with a good head on his shoulders (with a good role model to look up to)?

I know the reason, and it makes me mad.

My sons think the boy on these shows are funny.


To me, they are obnoxious. Seriously, they are not funny. They make the boys out to be shallow and not intelligent. At least iCarly has Freddy who is a computer whiz. But Disney? No, the boys on those shows are either girl crazy, idiots, disgusting, or too smart to have any common sense.

I have banned my sons from watching these shows. I just cannot stomach them thinking that the behavior on these shows is okay. It is not.  I know that so many people worry about the effect of media on girls (but that is another post for another person), but I am just as worried about the effect on boys. It seems as a boy, you are either an idiot and cool, or smart and weak.

So can someone please explain why other people are not worried about how boys are portrayed on TV?

No comments: