Monday, December 12, 2011

Friendship

I have not written in a while because I have been crazy busy. I love my family, and I love my job. I love the Gospel. Things in my life are actually going quite well. I have re-prioritized some things in my life, and in so doing, I eliminated some unneccessary stress.

My wonderful children are amazing. I love watching them grow and learn. My oldest is about to edge me out in the height division, and my youngest is hot on his trail! It is a good feeling to know that I will soon be the smallest person in my house. That knowledge makes me smile. My husband loves me and tells me so each and every moment he gets. He is my strength. He is patient and kind. He is my example of Christ-like love.

I had the best visit from two dear friends in the last month. One in LDS and the other is not. Not that it makes a difference, but I just thought I would share. I look at my close friends and I am grateful that I have a few really close friends. Friends with whom I would love to spend a girl's weekend. The problem is that my closest friends are not friends with each other. Several do not even know each other. I am lucky enough to have met several women during the course of my life who I love and cherish. Each is unique and each came at a different time in my life.

There is BFF#1 who I met several decades ago as young children thrown into a world we didn't understand. We grew up together, and she is my closest and dearest friend. We have history. We have common ground. We are opposite of each other in many ways, but she is the one person I can talk to about anything, from parenthood to politics and religion. She kicks my butt when it needs to be kicked, but she loves me more than any other friend ever has and ever will. She lives too far away, but if she lived close...oh, how happy I would be! She is more than a best friend. There are no words for what she is to me.

There is BFF #2 who I met over one decade ago. We passed by each other so many times, but we always knew we were best friends. We are so similar. We laugh at the same things. She lives close. We go to movies, to dinner, to Starbucks and Baskin Robbins. We hang out each week. We share books. We get frustrated with each other and continue on. I can talk to her about anything too, but it is different than BFF#1. She is my sister in the Gospel and my best friend every day.

There is BF#3 who I met in my childhood. She is the constant cheerleader. The one who I cried to about boys before I met my husband. The one whose life has never been easy, but the one who is constantly worried about everyone else. She lives closer than she has in over 20 years, but it is still not close enough to see on a regular basis.

There is BF#4 who I also met almost a decade ago. We share a passion for books. We are so different, but we are kindred spirits as mothers, as wives, as women. She moved away years ago, but every time she comes to visit, we talk for hours.

These are four of the "girls in my circle". I am blessed to have each one of them. I have talked to each of them about going away for a "girl's weekend" and each to a different place. A place that fits me and fits them. From Catalina Island, to New York City, to Santa Fe, to Aspen, to Naples. Now, I just have to decide where to go first and with whom to go with!

I am blessed.

No comments: